- 2 (55 cm x 100cm) sheets of cardboard or Styrofoam packaging (check your local electronics or computer store)
- 2 3/4 m fabric store foam, 2.5 cm thick
- 2.5 m black or white pleather /vinyl
- .4 m grey matte vinyl (for dial & headphone covers)
- .3 m white vinyl (for screen)
- 2 white plastic/plastic bowls
- 2 empty paper towel rolls
- 1 1/2 m white cord
- 5 m black trim/cord (if necessary)
- utility knife
- glue gun and glue
Note: If using plastic-type vinyl for this project, use Lepages #5 Flexible Plastic Adhesive, available at hardware stores. Hot glue will melt the plastic and create a terrible mess!
INSTRUCTIONAL PHOTOS BELOW
- Trace iPod front and back pieces on to cardboard, measuring 55 cm x 100 cm. Round out all corners equally. Cut out.
- Trace a center panel for the sides and top out of foam, measuring 265 cm x 30 cm. Cut out. In the center of the foam strip, cut out a hole for the head to fit through. Measure out approximately 17 cm from the edge of the neck hole for armholes (placement will vary by individual). Cut out.
- Measure and cut out black or white vinyl covers for front and back pieces, 60 cm X 105 cm.
- Measure and cut out vinyl cover for side panel, measuring 275 cm x 40 cm. (The extra fabric will allow for wrapping around foam edges)
- Glue vinyl to cardboard and foam. On foam sides, cut out neck and armholes leaving a 5 cm allowance to fully conceal the foam edge. Clip edges at intervals and glue under. (Tip: Only place glue on hidden edges of the vinyl as the glue can leave an imprint and affect final appearance of costume.)
- Glue front, sides and back panels carefully. (Use a trim or cord to hide seams and excess glue between panels if necessary)
- Cut out 30 cm x 40 cm white vinyl rectangle for screen. Glue on to front of iPod.
- Cut out circle (40 cm in diameter) for control panel. Cut black vinyl inner circle, measuring 15 cm diameter. Glue on to control panel. Draw or glue on arrows and menu buttons. Glue finished panel on to front of iPod form.
- Measure and cut two white cords to 75 cm. Cut a small hole for the rope in the bottom of each Styrofoam bowl. Insert cord and tie a knot on the inside of the bowl.
- Trace out rim of Styrofoam bowl onto grey vinyl fabric. Cut out. Glue vinyl to rim.
- Cut two empty paper towel rolls to 25 cm. On one end of each roll, cut on a sharp angle, approximately 25 degrees, where it will attach to the earpiece. Cover rolls with leftover vinyl from the iPod screen and front panel (bottom 3/4 white and top 1/4 grey). Thread cord from the bowl through the rolls. Secure each roll by gluing to bowls.
- Attach cords to iPod through the neck or an armhole, whichever you find most comfortable.
To personalize your iPod, include a picture of your favorite band, or a photo of you and your friends, on the screen.