Trivia and statistics lovers, indulge! Here are some Halloween-related stats that will give you a spook:
- 9% of Canadians say they’ve lived in a haunted house
- There were 4,535 employed funeral directors and embalmers in Canada in 2011. Of this number, 2,990 were men and 1,545 were women.
- 32% of Canadians don’t really understand what we’re celebrating on Halloween
- 3,816,018 is the estimated number of children in Canada of prime trick-or-treating age—5 to 14 years old—in 2015, up 0.8% from 2014.
- In some parts of Canada, “Hallowe’en apples!” is the exclamation used in the little goblins’ quest for candy. In parts of Canada where the French-Canadian culture is dominant, trick-or-treaters must sing a song for their reward.
- 182 businesses engaged in formal wear and costume rental in Canada in 2014
- The average age Canadians say is the max for trick-or-treaters is 13
- It was once believed that a witch could shape-shift into a cat nine times: thus the belief that cats have nine lives
- The contents of a ghost-busting kit in the 1920s, created by British parapsychologist Harry Price were: A thermometer, a camera, felt overshoes, a telescope, fingerprinting equipment and a portable telephone
- The top kids’ costumes last Halloween were, for girls: Elsa from Frozen and for boys: Spiderman
- A recent American survey found that 81% of parents pilfer their kids’ candy supply – and 26% of those wait until their children are in school or in bed before sneaking a treat. It’s fair to say that Canadian parents are likely just as devious.
A few Phobia Definitions we simply couldn’t have made up:
Ailurophobia: Fear of cats
Samhainophobia: Fear of Halloween
Phantasmophobia: fear of ghosts
Caligynephobia: Fear of beautiful women
Pentheraphobia: Fear of mothers-in-law
Kinemortophobia: Fear of zombies
Alliumphobia: Fear of garlic
Nomophobia: fear of being without your mobile phone
Phobophobia: Fear of phobias
Places in Canada that may give you the creeps
Visit these places…if you dare!
Axe Point, Black Cape, Black Water, Bloodvein, Bloodvein River, Bone Creek, Bone Town, Burnt Arm, Burnt Church, Burnt Head, Burnt Hill, Butchers, Coffin Cove, Dead Creek, Dead Islands, Deadman’s Bay, Deadmans Cove, Dead Man’s Flats, Deadmans Harbour, Dead Point, Deadtree Point, Deception Lake, La Descente-aux-Enfers, Destruction Bay, Devil’s Gate, Devils Island, Devils Kitchen, Giants Glen, Goblin, Ghost Lake, Ghost Pine Creek, Ghost River, Gore, Gore Bay, Grave Flats, Hatchet Cove, Hatchet Harbour, Hatchet Lake, Hells Gate, Hidden Valley, Hitchcock, Isle aux Morts, Jardins-Loup-Garou, Lac-au-Sorcier, L’Anse-au-Diable, La Roche-du-Diable, L’Île-aux-Fantômes, Lonely Lake, Lost River, Magic Lake Estates, Mystic, Peekaboo Point, Phantom Beach, Pirate Harbour, Point au Mal, Point Enragée, Poison Creek, Pumpkin Point, Rapides-du-Diable, Rivière-Windigo, Ruisseau-Noir, Salem, Serpent River, Shadow Lake, Skull Creek, Sleepy Hollow, Sleepy Hollow Road Trailer Park, Snake River, Spirit Lake, Spirit River, Wreck Cove.