Are you heading on a trip anytime in the near future? We are totally envious. But, we also want you to have an amazing time! So…we talked to our friends at Travelzoo.ca and asked if those very seasoned travellers had any awesome tips, tricks and hacks that make travel easier, less stressful and more enjoyable.
Not surprisingly they had loads of tips…and they shared them with us (cuz they’re so awesome!).
1. Before booking your flight, clear your browser’s cache. Airlines use your browsing history to figure out what types of flights you’re looking for and then increase the prices for your desired destinations. Clearing your browser history will help you avoid increased prices.
2. Check travel flash sale sites like Travelzoo.ca. You can find discounted prices on flights, vacations, hotels, restaurants, theatre and other event tickets and more.
3. If your flight dates are flexible, check out skyscanner.ca. You can search flight prices by the date, by the entire month or click the “cheapest month” option and it will let you know the cheapest time of the year based on your itinerary.
4. Slip the chain of your necklaces through plastic straws to keep them from tangling.
5. Use an eyeglass case to keep your phone charger and headphones. No more having to dig to the bottom of your bag mid-flight to listen to some music.
6. Roll up a belt and stick it inside your shirt collars to keep them from folding over or wrinkling.
7. Bring several large (or extra-large) resealable bags with you. Use them to store anything breakable that you buy on vacation.
8. For extra padding protection, slip bottles into socks before putting them in plastic bags.
9. Use empty lip balm tubes to store / hide everything from cash to your pills or vitamins. Use empty deodorant stick case to hold cash, credit cards, etc.
10. Cover the openings of bottles of shampoo, conditioner and other liquid with plastic wrap and then screw the top on. This will keep them from spilling.
11. Take photos of your passports, travel documents and credit cards and email them to yourself. If your purse is lost, you’ll be able to access all your info via any computer.
12. Use frozen sponges in resealable bags to keep your food or drinks cold when going through airport security. These are a great alternative to ice packs, which aren’t approved for travel.
13. Take an empty water bottle in your carry on and fill it from a fountain once you’ve passed security instead of buying water at the airport.
14. Once you arrive at your destination, head to the departure area for a taxi. The line ups will be much shorter.
15. Swap your purse for a light tote that zips up. You can store it under the seat in front of you on the plane without fear that important items like your passports will roll out.
16. Book an aisle and window seat if traveling with just one partner. Chances are single passengers will not book a middle seat unless the flight is full so you may just get a whole row for yourself.
17. Turn your hotel room mug or water glass into a speaker. Just put your phone inside the glass, turn up the volume and get ready to dance.
18. It’s nap time and the hotel curtains don’t close all the way: Use the clips on a pant hanger (found in most hotel closets) to keep the curtains together. Instant blackout shades.
19. Use the shower as a clothes steamer. Turn up the hot water and hang your suit or dress as close to the shower (making sure it’s nowhere that it can get wet). Close the door and wait a few minutes. When you open the door your outfit should be wrinkle free.
20. Use a hairdryer as a steamer. For a quick way to get rid of wrinkles, especially on more delicate items, use the hairdryer. Hold it really close to the material and move it up and down like it’s a steamer. Just make sure not to hold it too close, for too long.
21. Use a roll of tape to childproof a hotel room. You can use it to tape washcloths to sharp corners of furniture, cover electrical sockets and keeping drawers from closing on curious fingers.
22. Use a hotel laundry bag to store your dirty clothes. When you leave, you can pull the drawstring and throw the bag into your suitcase. The bags are also great for keeping your wet swimsuits if you don’t have time to dry them before your departure.
23. Use the hotel shower cap to cover room service leftovers and pop them in the mini fridge so they can stay fresh.
24. Use an iron in the room to make a grilled cheese sandwich. Just wrap a cheese sandwich in tin foil and iron it for a few minutes. Perfect snack for kids.
25. Turn your coffee maker into a steamer. Place a coffee filter in the top of the machine and fill it with broccoli or cauliflower. Pour water in the water compartment and let it run through the system. When all the water is fully dispensed, your vegetables will be ready. You can also add ramen noodles to the carafe for an almost instant noodle and veggie snack.
26. Put the in-room hair conditioner to good use. It can serve as a makeup remover, shaving cream, cuticle cream, shoe polish and more.
27. If you forget your wall plug, you can charge your phone with a USB using your laptop or the USB slot on the back of the hotel room TV.
28. Stop by the hotel gym on your way out the door. You’ll likely find free bottles of water and sometimes a snack or two.
29. Use the hidden offline maps feature of Google Maps to avoid roaming charges while navigating your way around a new city. Simply zoom in to the map area you want offline and then type “OK maps” in the search box. You’ll be able to access a map of that area free of charge.
30. Want to try a fancy restaurant while on vacation? Go there for lunch instead of dinner. Your meal will be much more reasonably-priced.
31. Print out a map and highlight everywhere you want to go. That way you can plan your day accordingly and avoid crisscrossing the city all day.
Do you have any travel hacks that you swear by?