We’ve been seeing tubes of polenta around the deli counter in our grocery store more frequently. Have you noticed? Sure, polenta is a snap to make from scratch but what if you don’t feel like messing up a pot? A tube of polenta is, in our minds, a worthy item to keep on hand. And we think it’s an excellent building block for any meal.
Five Faves for Polenta in a Tube:
– Cut into 1/2” disks, then cut into 1/2” lengths. Toss polenta fries with flour and parmesan cheese. Pan fry in olive oil until crisp. Yummy snack!
– For a savoury dinner cut six 1/2” slices and layer in a baking pan. Top with diced cooked chicken, salsa and crumbled feta cheese. Bake for 10 minutes at 400°F.
– Super breakfast or dessert idea: Fry up some rounds in butter and top with strawberry slices and warm maple syrup.
– Mix it up! Easy Skillet Ratatouille served on top of warmed polenta rounds with crumbled goat cheese makes a healthy vegetarian dinner.
– Cinnamon Raisin Polenta “Bread” Pudding: Grease a 9” square cake pan. Dice a 1.1 lb tube of polenta and spread out in pan. Top with a handful of raisins. Make quick custard with 1 1/2 cups warm milk and 2 eggs. Mix in 1/3 cup sugar and 1 tbsp cinnamon. Bake at 350°F for 45-50 minutes or until just set and slightly golden brown.
Pick some up polenta the next time you see it and try some of our preferred ways to prep. Drop us a line if you have some great polenta ideas to share!