Dinners at our food editor’s house were not fancy when she was growing up. They were usually downright practical; what was on sale at the grocery store dictated usually what showed up for dinner. Looking back, she figures chicken must have been on sale constantly. The regular family meals also had to be fast to prepare and satisfy at least four kids and usually a few neighbours. The one chicken dish that LeeAnne calculates she must have eaten hundreds, maybe thousands of times was the reliable favourite: Cornflake Chicken Served with Corn Syrup.
The first time her mom served LeeAnne’s future husband the dish, he couldn’t believe how wonderful it was. Growing up in a very European family, the idea of pairing breakfast cereal, chicken and the incredible sweet corn syrup was absolutely foreign. And guess what, not only does her husband love it but so do her two kids. So in an effort to play nice, she makes it for them occasionally.
Never one to leave well enough alone, our resident foodie makes what she refers to as “The Essence of Cornflake Chicken” version of her mom’s recipe.
Do you reinvent any of your mom’s classics? If so drop us a recipe and a picture and we will post them.
4 bone in chicken breasts (with skin)
1 cup gently crushed whole grain Krispies
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1/4 cup mayo
2 tbsp Dijon mustard + 1 tbsp for dipping sauce
salt and pepper
2 tbsp honey
1. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
2. Combine krispies and sesame seeds together on a plate.
3. Mix mayo and mustard together.
4. Smear a layer of mayo mix on each breast.
5. Press each coated breast in Krispies to coat.
6. Bake in a pre-heated 350F oven for 30 minutes or until juices run clear.
7. Mix together mustard and honey and serve chicken with a spoonful of dipping sauce.