This recipe is probably the one I get asked for the most by friends and family. It’s really easy to make, and with a slight variation on the finishing sauce it’s simple to make a version for parents and one for kids without too much hassle.
If you aren’t up to barbecuing due to inclement weather, it’s just as simple to make this with oven roasted chicken breast or even store-bought chicken. The sandwich is just so lip-smacking good that my kids usually wolf it down. Give it a try and soon you’ll have people asking you for the recipe too!
Shredded BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
• 6 whole chicken breasts, filleted
• 2 tbsp dry rub spices
• 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 6 fresh kaiser rolls
• 6 tbsp finishing sauce*
• 6 tbsp mayonnaise
• 6 tbsp barbecue sauce
*I usually split my chicken in half and use 3 tbsp Frank’s Red Hot sauce for the adults and 3 tbsp barbecue sauce for the kids.
1. Heat grill to high heat. Coat chicken evenly with olive oil and dry rub. Grill until done, about 10 minutes.
2. Brush chicken with 1/2 cup barbecue sauce as removing from grill. Allow to cool 5 minutes.
3. In a bowl shred chicken breasts with two forks. Alternately, cube into 1/2 centimetre pieces. Mix with finishing sauce(s).
4. Slice kaisers in half, spread mayonnaise on top and barbecue sauce on the bottom. Top with chicken and enjoy!
By day, Gav Martell is vice president at a software company. By night, he’s busy cooking up a storm, exploring culinary adventures, watching copious amounts of Food Network, drinking a nice red wine, training for half-marathons, playing endless amounts of hockey, and being a dad to three awesome taste-testers—not necessarily in that order. Each Monday, he shares a yummy recipe or great food tips to help your family get the most out of mealtime. Check out his blog at GrillInterrupted.com. You can also find him on Twitter.