With the absolutely gorgeous (and hot!) summer weather we’ve been having, I figured a sunshine sandwich would be more than fitting. It’s a really easy sandwich to make and the kids loved it. What could be better? This fun lunch is a wonderful way to offer your kids healthy servings from four of the major food groups—grains, meats/proteins, dairy and veggies.
What you’ll need:
1. Using your circle cookie cutter (or the open end of a drinking glass), cut your 2 pieces of bread into circles.
2. Place a sandwich meat of your choice in between the bread circles and place on your plate.
3. Using the same circle cookie cutter (or drinking glass), cut a circle out of your piece of cheese and place it on top of your sandwich.
4. Take a handful of matchstick carrots and arrange them all the way around your sandwich.
5. Place 2 black olive eyes on your sandwich.
6. Cut your slice of radish into a semi-circle for a mouth, and place on your sandwich.
7. Cut your slice of red pepper into 2 small circles for some sweet little cheeks for your sunshine sandwich. Place these on your sandwich.
Your kids will absolutely love this “fun-shine” sandwich on a beautiful summer day.
Jill Dubien is a working mom who loves to craft and cook with her kiddos in her spare time. She has an awesome and supportive husband and 2 wonderful kids—a daughter who is 4 and a son who is 3. Before she had kids, Jill couldn’t cook much of anything except toast and cereal, and really despised being in the kitchen. Jill blogs at Meet the Dubiens, where she shares lots of fun foods and crafts for kids.