One of the easiest places to be environmentally friendly is your laundry room: you just have to change a few small habits to make a big impact. Here’s how:
• We’ve still got a bit of summer left, so hang your laundry to dry whenever possible. To brighten whites, let them dry in full sunlight.
• Avoid detergents that contain environmentally unfriendly optical brightners or artificial scents.
• Washing machines are most efficient when they’re full, so wash full loads in cold water (but opt for cold-water detergents made from natural ingredients).
• Stay away from harsh stain removers. Try Pink Solution. It tackles super-tough stains with ease, and cleans all kinds of things beyond the laundry room! $20 for 1 litre.
• Fabric softeners and dryer sheets are often full of chemicals: avoid them.
For more on these and other fantastic tips, pick up Ecoholic Home: The Greenest, Cleanest and Most Energy-Efficient Information Under One (Canadian) Roof by Adria Vasil.