Making your very own tree decorations can be really very simple. Here are all the supplies you’ll need and simple step-by-step directions. This craft is so simple even your kids could do it… (except for the sawing and drilling) it’ll keep them busy while you enjoy a festive beverage.
1 large tree branch or log (about 3 – 4″ in diameter)
Cordless drill with small bit
Sandpaper with extra fine grit
1 small can of black chalkboard paint
1 small Paint brush
2 sponge brush
1 spool of ribbon or twine
- Using the mitre saw, cut the log into 1/2″ slices.
- Drill small holes in each wood slice, about 1/4″ from the top.
- With the sandpaper, lightly sand each wood slice to smooth the surface.
- Using chalkboard paint such as Rust-Oleum Chalkboard Paint from RONA Home & Garden, paint a circle on top of each wood slice, leaving a 1/2″ small border of wood along the outside edge.
- Allow the paint to dry. Once dried, draw your favourite holiday or winter-inspired designs with white chalk.
- Feed the ribbon or twine through each hole, knotting the pieces together at the top and hang on the tree.
- OPTION: write guest names and use as a rustic alternative for place cards on the table.