1. Roll out a graphic patterned rug instead of a single humdrum colour. Tip: Choose one made of wool because it’s easier to clean than seagrass, cotton or sisal. Have it professionally treated with a stain protector from companies like Fibre Protection or Fibre Shield.
2. Add a splash of colour on one or two walls and leave the others a basic neutral shade such as white, grey or cream. This makes painting much easier when it’s time to update the colour scheme.
3. Make space for two tables, one for homework and one for art materials.
4. Stick to simple, affordable white bedding. Add personality and colour with chic throw cushions or blankets.
5. Maximize storage opportunities by placing fabric-covered containers on open shelves and adding rolling carts underneath the desks. Tip: A funky coat rack saves closet space.
6 Use toys, decorative flags and paper chains to dress up walls and shelves.
7. Select modern light fixtures to create a funky look that your kids will love.
8. Upholster seat cushions with outdoor fabric. It’s stain-resistant, durable, and won’t fade or discolour.
Bonus: There are many varieties available now, so you can easily get a custom look.
9. Make the most of nooks and crannies. We turned a lacklustre window seat into a cozy, playful reading area.