Early hunger signs
If your baby is smacking or licking his lips, he may be starting to feel those hunger pangs. Opening and closing his mouth, or sucking on his lips, hands, toys or clothing, could also signal that he is ready for a feeding.
Active hunger signs
If your babe begins rooting around on the chest of the person holding her, looking like she’s attempting to latch, it’s time for her to eat. You may also notice her moving into the position that she usually takes while nursing. Fidgeting, breathing quickly, sudden fussiness or repeatedly touching your chest may also signal that your babe wants to nurse, ASAP.
Looking for more on this topic? Here are some of our top breastfeeding stories:
• Tips for Feeding Newborns When Breastfeeding Isn’t an Option
• 6 Ways Your Partner Can Help While You’re Breastfeeding
• 7 Breastfeeding Health Benefits to Keep in Mind
• How to Boost Your Breast-Milk Supply
• The 7 Best Foods for Breastfeeding Moms
• An Easy Guide to Breast Pumps