You might think the addition of blueberries to spinach pakoras is odd, but they add the slightest touch of sweetness to these spicy bites.
- 4 cups (950 mL) Vegetable oil
- 3 cups (120 g) Fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 cup (150 g) B.C blueberries, fresh or frozen (do not thaw)
- 1 cup (75 g) Onion, diced
- ¼ cup (10 g) Cilantro, chopped
- ¾ cup (120 g) Chickpea flour
- 3 tbsp (30 mL) Cornstarch
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Cumin seeds, whole
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Ground coriander seeds
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Hot paprika powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Ground turmeric
- 1 tsp (10 mL) Salt
- ½ cup (120 mL) Water
In a large deep pot, pre heat oil on medium heat to 350°F/176°C.
In a bowl mix the spinach, blueberries, onion and cilantro.
Mix in the chickpea flour, cornstarch, spices and salt. Gently mix in the water.
Scoop tablespoons of batter for each fritter in the oil. Fry each side for 2-3 minutes, until golden brown.
Drain on paper towels and serve immediately with minted yoghurt and a squeeze of fresh lime.
BC Blueberry Council—Tracey Kusiewicz