This chowder, which serves 6 to 8, is sure to be as rich in taste as it is in colour. With all of the best flavours the sea has to offer, this chowder knows what it means to be a crowd pleaser.
6 to 8
- 2 Pounds of halibut; skin discarded and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 Dozen rock shrimp; cleaned
- 2 Stalks celery; diced
- 2 Leeks; tops discarded; white part diced
- 6 Cloves of garlic; minced
- 2 Sprigs of fresh garlic; chopped
- 1 Pound of fingerling potatoes blanched and diced
- 1 Cup of chardonnay
- 4 Cups of fish stock
- 2 Cups of heavy cream
- 1/4 Cup of butter
- 1/4 Cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 Meyer lemon; juiced
- 4 Sprigs fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a heavy bottomed sauce pan, on low heat, sweat leeks in butter until translucent. Add celery and cook until soft. Add garlic and thyme and cook for 1 minute then evenly incorporate flour. Raise heat to medium and cook for 3 more minutes; constantly stirring.
Whisk in wine and cook for 1 minute then whisk in the fish stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and whisk in the heavy cream.
Add the rock shrimp; once they are half way cooked through, add the halibut and clams.
Once all the seafood is completely cooked, add the fingerling potatoes.
Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.