A lovely cool, light salad that goes great with burgers, steaks or anything on the grill.
- 3 cups (750 mL) 1⁄2-inch (1-cm) cubed watermelon, deseeded
- 1 English cucumber, chopped into 1⁄2-inch (1-cm) pieces (just over 2 cups/500 mL)
- 1 mango, skin removed and chopped into 1⁄2-inch (1-cm) pieces
- 1⁄2 serrano pepper, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) chopped cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) sliced basil
- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) salted peanuts, crushed and toasted
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) soy sauce or tamari
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon (2 mL) minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) rice vinegar
Make the dressing: In a large bowl, whisk together the soy sauce or tamari, garlic, ginger, lime juice, and rice vinegar.
To the bowl, add the watermelon, cucumber, mango, serrano pepper, cilantro, and basil. Chill for 30 minutes. Drain a little of the excess liquid before serving. Serve with the crushed peanuts on top and season to taste.
Copyright © Jeanine Donofrio and Jack Mathews, 2016