Devini DeSilva’s Delicious Dhal
Split lentil curry is an essential part of everyday meals in Sri Lanka. It is simple and delicious. Because no soaking is necessary, it takes less than 15 minutes to prepare.
April 8th, 2012
Recipe courtesy of www.newscanada.com.
- 1 Cup split red lentils
- 1 Cup water
- 1/2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon roasted fenugreek powder *
- 1 teaspoon curry powder 5 ml
- 1 hot green pepper, or other chili, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 6 curry leaves (optional) **
- 2 inches of pandan leaf **(optional)
- 11 1/2 Cups coconut milk/ soy milk/ cow's milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
Wash the lentils and drain well. Transfer to a medium-sized saucepan and add water. Stir in turmeric, fenugreek and curry powders; add hot pepper, onion, curry leaves and pandan leaf, if using. Cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and steam for 7 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed and lentils are beginning to soften. Add milk and salt, stirring to combine. Cover and return to a boil over high heat. Stir and cook until mixture is bubbling and thickened. Remove from the heat and discard pandan leaf. Stir in lime juice. Serve immediately with rice, roti or French bread.