We’ve yet to meet a kid who can resist a dog in a bun or a pig in a blanket – meat or veggie! These bite-size savouries are chichi enough to roll out for your next grown-up gathering. Tip: you will end up with two little extra squares of puff.
We think you should make yourself to a cook’s treat! Simply lay the squares of pastry on the cookie sheet, sprinkle with a tsp of sugar and cinnamon and bake with the Roll Overs. Put the kettle on!
Makes 10 rolls
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella
- 1 tbsp. mild yellow mustard
- 2 of your family’s favourite large hot dog, each cut into 5 equal piece. You will have 10 pieces.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry – follow package instructions re: thawing – sliced into 4 strips, about 3-inches wide. Then cut each strip into 3 equal lengths – should be about 4- to 5-inches. You will have 12 pieces of 3” x 5”, plus 2 extra pieces.
- 2 pieces of pre-sliced Swiss cheese cut into 10 small, equal pieces.
Preheat oven to 400 ͦF
Line a large cookie sheet with parchment.
In a small bowl, mix the grated mozzarella and mustard together and set aside.
Working on a piece of parchment paper laid on the counter, prepare the puff strips. Into the center of each, place a good pinch – about 1 heaping tsp – of the mustard-mozzarella mixture, a piece of the Swiss cheese, and a piece of hot dog.
Roll the puff pastry over, like making sushi, or a wrap, ensuring that the ends of pastry overlap and stick together. Pinch the ends shut and place, seam side down onto the cookie sheet.
Bake for about 10 – 15 minutes or until puffed and golden. Let cool on the cookie sheet, then keep, covered in the refrigerator.
Photography by Carlo Mendoza