Bring home this trendy Californian meal with a healthy and hearty bowl of quinoa, avocado, and chicken - courtesy of Top Chef winner, Richard Blais.
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup cooked farro
- 1/4 cup cooked amaranth
- 1/4 cup cooked Kamut
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch knob fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 or 3 scallions, chopped, white and light green parts only
- Splash of soy sauce
- Splash of brown rice vinegar or rice vinegar
- 6 large eggs
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted, peeled, and chopped or cut into wedges
- 1 cup Pickled Red Onion
- About 1 1/2 tablespoons mustard caviar (pickled mustard seeds) or grainy mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- About 2 cups chopped cooked chicken (optional)
- 3 or 4 slices bacon, cooked and broken into pieces (optional)
In a large skillet or wok, heat the oil over high heat. When hot, add the cooked grains, garlic, ginger, and scallions and stir-fry until the vegetables soften and the grains are hot, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the soy sauce and vinegar and stir just to mix and heat.
Meanwhile, in a saucepan filled about halfway with water, submerge the eggs. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a rapid simmer, and cook the eggs for exactly 6 minutes from the time the water started boiling. Drain.
Divide the hot grains among shallow bowls. Top each with a cracked soft-boiled egg, some avocado, pickled onions, mustard caviar, and cilantro. Add the cooked chicken and/or bacon, if using. Serve immediately.