"These were just a little crispy on the outside, which is hard to get in a gluten-free waffle. Ian loved these and ate two by himself. He said, “Yummy-ummy...more please!” Becky fife, mom of Ian, 2, and
five-month-old Jane, Omemee, Ont.
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour mix* or store-bought gluten-free flour mix
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 cup buttermilk (or more if batter is too thick)
- Gluten-Free Flour Mix (makes 4 1/2 cups gluten-free flour mix)
- 1 cup garbanzo & fava flour (sometimes called garfava bean flour)
- 1/2 cup amaranth flour
- 1-1/2 cups cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups arrowroot starch
In a medium bowl combine gluten-free flour mix, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
In another bowl whisk the egg, brown sugar, butter, pumpkin and buttermilk until well combined. Add dry ingredients to the wet and stir until just combined. Let batter rest 10 minutes.
Cook on a hot waffle iron.
Nutrients Per Serving
178 calories, 2 g fat, 128 mg calcium, 457 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrates, 3 g fibre, 5 g protein. Excellent source of vitamin A and niacin. Source of fibre, biotin, calcium, iron, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus and vitamin B12.
Photography by John Cullen