Mozzarella, Ham & Basil Panini
This crusty sandwich can be grilled in the summer or made indoors during the colder months. No matter what season - the flavours of basil and toasted bread is a rustic, European treat.
April 8th, 2012
Submitted by Cory Coleman, London, ON; Recipe tested by Karen Clark
- 1 loaf ciabatta, cut in half horizontally
- 4 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/3 Cups mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 12 basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 8 ounces cooked deli ham, sliced
- 2 sweetened hot cherry peppers, sliced
- 1/2 green, red pepper, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1 large plum tomato, thinly sliced
- 1cooking spray
- salt and pepper to taste
Brush the bottom half (cut side) of bread with mustard and the top half (cut side) with oil.
Layer mozzarella, basil, ham, peppers, onions, and tomato on bottom half. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, if desired. Top with remaining bread half.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. and coat pan with cooking spray.
Add sandwich to pan; top with another heavy skillet and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until golden. If you own a panini press, cook for about 5 minutes all together.
Cut sandwich into 6 wedges.
Photography by Karen Clark