Switch up your cranberry or peach chutney for blueberry. It's delicious with pork, chicken and even on a cheese tray.
- 2 cups (300g) Red onion, diced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp (45 g) Brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Black pepper
- 1½ cups (75 g) B.C blueberries, fresh or frozen
- ⅓ cup (80 mL) Balsamic vinegar
- ⅓ cup (80 mL) Red wine
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Grainy mustard
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Fresh thyme, chopped (or substitute ¼ tsp dry)
In a large pan, sauté onion, oil, brown sugar, salt and pepper on medium heat for 10-15 minutes.
Reduce heat to low and cook for 40-45 minutes until cooked through and caramelized.
Add the blueberries, vinegar, wine, mustard and thyme.
Return to a boil for 30 seconds then turn heat to low and simmer for another 45 minutes until reduced.
Serve as a condiment on grilled meats or as an accompaniment to a cheese plate.
BC Blueberry Council—Tracey Kusiewicz