This classic dessert is converted here to individual servings that can be cooked over hot coals. The tasty result is sweet, tangy and gooey miniature cakes.
- Prepare campfire coals
- 6 sheets heavy-duty foil, sprayed with nonstick cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 6 tbsp butter
- 6 pineapple rings
- 6 maraschino cherries, stemmed
- 6 shortcake dessert shells
- TIP: A 20-oz (625 g) can contains about 10 pineapple rings. Transfer the remaining 4 slices and the juice to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
To each prepared foil sheet, add 11⁄2 tbsp (22 mL) brown sugar, 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter and 1 pineapple ring. Place a cherry in the middle of each pineapple ring. Place shortcake upside down on top of pineapple. Fold foil into flat packets and seal edges tightly.
Place packets, sugar side down, on hot coals and cook for 15 minutes or until pineapple is caramelized. Open packets and turn cakes upside down onto plates.