Note: It is essential that you use steel-cut oats in this recipe. Quick oats or regular rolled oats won't hold up to the long cooking time required by the slow cooker. Look for steel cut oats in the grocery aisle where you would find regular oats
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 7 hours
3/4 cup water
- 1 1/4 cup milk, plus more for garnish (if desired)
- 1 cup peach slices, (frozen or fresh) plus more diced peach slices for garnish (if desired)
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 3 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup, plus more for garnish (if desired)
- 2 tsp butter, diced (optional), plus more for preparing slow cooker
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped toasted pecans
Coat the inside of your slow cooker generously with butter or cooking spray.
Combine the first 9 ingredients (reserving garnishes), in slow cooker. Stir, cover, and cook on low for 7 hours.
Stir oatmeal and serve, garnished with pecans, sliced peaches, a drizzle of maple syrup and a splash of milk.
Make Ahead: Oatmeal can be assembled the night before serving and cooked overnight. If you don’t have an electronic timer on your slow cooker, you will want to make sure you turn it off at the 7-hour mark to avoid overcooking. Leftovers can be refrigerated and reheated on high in the microwave with a splash of milk for about 60 seconds
Photography by Carlo Mendoza