Chef's Tip: When prepping beets, consider wearing latex gloves since the juice can stain your hands, clothes, and work surfaces. Be sure to wipe up spills right away. Use a mandoline to create perfect matchsticks for the slaw. In a professional kitchen, this is known as "julienne."
- 3 cups peeled and grated beets (mix red, golden and striped)
- 3 cups grated green apple (about 2 apples)
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 3 teaspoons cider vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 3 smoked trout filets (about 1½ lb), skin removed, broken into pieces
In two separate bowls, place grated beet and apple. Set aside.
In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine next five ingredients and shake vigorously. Pour ½ dressing into each bowl, season with salt and pepper, and mix. Combine beet and apple, toss and divide among dinner plates. Top with trout and serve.
Nutrients Per Serving
464 calories, 31 g fat, 35 g protein, 15 g carbs, 3 g fibre. Excellent source of folate.
Photography by Michael Alberstat