Chipotles are smoked jalapeno peppers. En adobo refers to the sauce the chipotles are stewed in, consisting of tomatoes, garlic, vinegar, salt, and spices. Often sold in smaller (198 g) cans, it can be found in grocery stores among other Mexican food products. Dried chipotle peppers can be substituted. Soften first in boiling water, remove seeds, if desired, chop and add to chili with 1 tablespoon soaking liquid.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1¼ pounds ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 chipotle chile, en abodo, with 1 tablespoon sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth, (tomato juice or water can be substituted)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (796ml/28floz), with their juice
- 1 can white kidney beans (540 ml/19floz), rinsed and drained
- 1 can baked beans in tomato sauce (398 ml/14floz)
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (frozen can be substituted)
- ¼ cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- Sour cream, grated cheddar or monterey jack cheese, thinly sliced green onions for garnish (optional)
Heat olive oil in a large, Dutch oven or a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, chili powder, salt, and cumin and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the turkey, using a wooden spoon to break it up and cook until the meat is no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, chipotle chile and adobo sauce; cook 1 minute more. Add chicken stock, tomatoes and their juices and the beans; bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thick, about 25 to 30 minutes. Stir in corn and cilantro, ladle chili into bowls and serve with desired garnishes.
Nutrients Per Serving
Based on 6 servings, not including garnish: 398 calories, 14 g fat, 29 g protein, 10 g fibre, 42 g carbohydrates, 1,155 mg sodium. Good source of Vitamin B2. Excellent source of Vitamin B1, niacin, vitamin B6, magnesium, iron and zinc.
Photography by Carlo Mendoza