It’s that time of year again. Parents from all across the nation sent in their nominations. We took your recommendations, which highlighted the incredible achievements of educators from coast to coast, and send them to a blue-ribbon committee of experts, who chose our top three. And now we present to you Canada’s best teachers.
Ecole Camille J. Lerouge
Red Deer, Alberta
19 years in the classroom
What parents say: “My son went into Pre-Kindergarten not being able to communicate very well at all… With the help of Mme. Gerwing, he no longer needs a speech therapist.” –Melissa Major, Joshua’s mom
Mabou, Nova Scotia
16 years in the classroom
What his students say: “The co-op experience has shaped my life, and without his help I would have never made the connections that I have today.” –Allan Cameron
Grade 1 Reading Recovery and Guided Reading Resource Support
Crapaud, Prince Edward Island
25 years in the classroom
What parents say: “Students love her because her methods work well and they see results quickly. Parents love her because we see our children get excited because they are reading well.” –Tara Thompson, Wyatt’s mom
• Dr. Janette Pelletier, director of the Dr. Eric Jackman Institute of Child Study at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education at the University of Toronto
• Patricia Manson, executive director of the Catholic Principal’s Council of Ontario
• Dr. Charles Ungerleider, professor, sociology of education, University of British Columbia
• Derek Harrison*, Cogito Kindergarten teacher, Elmer S. Gish School, St. Albert, Alta.
• David Derpak, principal, Killarney Secondary School, Vancouver
• Susan Sainsbury*, student success program coordinator, Fenelon Falls Secondary School, Fenelon Falls, Ont.
• Krista Nitschke*, principal, Centennial Public School, Kingston, Ont.
• Cynthia Bellman, principal, Mill Valley Junior School, Toronto