November is Adoption Awareness Month, and we received some fascinating stats from the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption Canada earlier this week. The Dave Thomas Foundation was founded by, you guessed it, THAT Dave Thomas: the founder of Wendy’s. He was adopted himself, and wanted to put his money and influence towards helping kids in the foster care system. Thus, the foundation’s aim is to find forever homes for kids in foster care.
Here are a few of the astounding and heart-breaking facts we learned:
• 78,000 kids in Canada are currently in the care of child welfare organizations. Of these, over 30,000 are legally free for adoption.
• Most of the kids free for adoption are over 6 years old.
• Kids can wait up to five years before they are adopted. While they wait, they are often moved three or more times within foster care, and are often separated from their siblings.
• Every year, fewer than 8% of waiting children are adopted.
• 80% of Canadians know that there are many kids waiting to be adopted.
• 43% say they would consider adopting.
• But: less than 1% actually do.
• International adoption can cost between $25,000 – $50,000 +
• Private domestic adoption can cost between $15,000 – $25,000
• Foster care adoption through a child protection agency usually has no cost.
For a list of free adoption resources, details of the adoption process, ways you can help and more, visit the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption.